Monday, October 25, 2010

Coming to a close??






The days are warm and longer. I can hardly believe that my time in New Zealand is almost complete. Sometimes I have this aching feeling to get back home, back to "normal" life. I doubt though that my life will ever be normal again. I think New Zealand has changed me in many ways! However, more reflection is needed before I divulge. Although there is a desire to return home, it is not because of negatives -- things that turn me off from this culture and place. I honestly do believe that I could live here! Four and a half months is hardly enough time to see everything here and appreciate this place. I think it is humorous that those words are coming from my mouth.

What am I doing now that classes are out? Yes, I have been out of classes for about two weeks now. There is much to study before my finals but Davidson has taught me well how to study efficiently in a few days before finals. This past weekend, I was lucky enough to find a ride to visit the Catlins, the southmost part of New Zealand. I have never seen sea lions in person and found myself stumbling upon them! It was good to do something other than climbing but I realized that I like actually experiencing a place when I visit instead of simply seeing it (i.e. a tourist).

Now I am back to my studies. I still have several days before the first final and afterwards plan for a wee road trip with some other kiwis for my last 10 days in New Zealand. That means more climbing and more reflecting. Everyday I am discovering something here, whether about myself (what I want to do with my life!) or about New Zealand and the culture. I shall enjoy these final days and am very glad for this opportunity to be here.

1 comment: