Friday, August 6, 2010

One month down

I guess I am surprised how fast time has gone by here. I sometimes am concerned that I will not have enough time here to do and see all the things I want!! Other times three and half more months seems like a lot of time.

I think I am finally settling in here. I am becoming ever more savvy with grocery shopping -- slowly reducing the money flowing out of my pocket. I definitely am not eating as much here as I do back home, but it is interesting to think that even though most of the time I am a little bit hungry, I am eating more that the average person does daily around the world. I am even planning on going hunting with a guy I know who is in the military here. He wants to go "stick a pig", which means hunting wild boar with just a knife. It is pretty popular here... mostly due to the natives (Maori people). But we will probably either go surf-fishing or hunt for deer, rabbit, and goat. I

I went climbing with this guy, whose name is Sam. I met him through a church I have been going to and he was graciously been driving me when I am in town, including thursday night bible study (fortnightly). I really like him mainly because he is really into getting outside and doing things, likes guns, enjoys climbing, and is an awesome Christian. We really didn't climb that much last night but I really had a good time with him. We were climbing at a spot called "Long Beach", which is literally right on the beach. Well, it is not that nice in the winter... quite cold actually. The climbing was surprisingly good even though it looked quite desperate. It is really similar to the climbing back home in NC. That means it is adventurous, which means slightly more heady -- and that means slightly more dangerous. I realized this on the last route in the dark, with no headlamp, and wet loose rock.

I am really thankful for climbing in my life. It is such a nice release and humbling. Having such a nice spot just 30 mins away from the Uni is quite nice as well. Whenever I am stressed out or worried and then go climbing, I am reminded of how awesome it is to be alive and important to stay alive to climb another day. I am also humbled because the climbing is in some of the most isolated spots of the country, surrounded by either a huge ocean or mountains. Climbing last night in the dark with just the booming sound of the ocean in my ears was frightening but cool. I am just a small little being.

I have a micro terms test on monday. I have not really studied for it but I am devoting the rest of the day for that purpose. It will be interesting to see if the schooling here is easier than Davidson, which everyone says is way harder than any other school they have been to. It is grow colder here again: snow is in the forecast for Dunedin. I am hoping to go ice climbing this weekend. I have a semester break coming up as well on the 28th - Sept. 5. I am making plans to expand my travels by perhaps going to Mount Cook (the tallest mountain in NZ) and of course climbing it, or go to Mount Aspiring. That all depends on weather really and avalanche conditions. But I do not want to spend too much time there so I will most likely bus over and stay with Alex and Kathryn in Castle Hill, which boast some of the best climbing in the world. There are sooooo many boulders (the huge fighting scene in the Chronicles of Narnia was filmed there)! That is far off though. Tomorrow I plan on going with this other guy named Ben to Long Beach for some Jesus time (i.e. sitting on the beach and meditating -- though i might do a little bit of bouldering as well :) )

I am very blessed to be here. It is hard to be away from family and those that I love but God as been good with giving me people to hang out with.

No comments:

Post a Comment