Friday, July 2, 2010

Arrival

So I have been here two days now. And it is gorgeous. I have not even been to the scenic areas either! Auckland for the first day where we were dragged around in order to fight the jet lag and saw most of the city, and then today we made the coach ride to Rotorua and had a short stop at Hobbiton (the shire). We also went through the reserve to see some kiwis and tuataras (martha i purchased a kiwi stuffed animal for you, which makes a noise when squeezed -- perfect for the baby, eh?).

Everything seems so fresh here. The water tastes better, the food is more tasty, and the air is clean. It is also quite cold here, which i actually like better than the humid, hot weather back home. Stuff in general is really expensive (but the american dollar goes further). For example, i looked at this climbing guide book for the south island -- a small book -- and it was 60 bucks! I'll have to be smart with buying things. Today was also a good info sesh from the arcadia organizers, who told us what we needed to know about how to survive on our own in enzed.

I feel like i have more things to tell and share but my mind is blanking right now. I think it has been difficult here. Morning are hard. I am not too good and meeting new people it seems. It is a bit lonely here as well, most people are out getting slammed and I am looking for internet to communicate with people. (I will go have some dinner and maybe go as well soak in the thermal pools and then head to bed early because my head hurts -- the cold is still present). Despite the loneliness, I have had good interactions with most people on the trip... but after tomorrow I most likely will not see them again. The country is peaceful and I am hopeful for the coming days. All in all, things are going well.

I am trying to get this cell phone working. once i do, i should be able to communicate easily internationally using google voice. and texting is cheaper as well. also, it seems that Otago as great internet connection that is free and my flat might as well. I am looking forward to settling down for a bit.

I miss everyone! I will try and remember the things that I want to share on here... my mind is not working right now. So perhaps the next post will actually be coherent and full of good stories. Thank you for all the prayers! I know that I am being provided for and that brings me peace. I don't plan on trying to deny things that I believe in just to fit in, so I imagine there will be some "persecution".

Anyway, New Zealand is very pretty (I have I said that already?). It also seems to be a biologist dream world. All the animals and the diversity in ecosystems are fascinating. Everything is so unique to this area, from trees to little penguins.

anyway, gotta go

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I'm sure you're well aware of the Milford Trail...some friends of mine that I work with tell me it's THE most beautiful trail in NZ...I'm sure you'll see why as you're already getting to take in some of the sights. Take it one day at a time...it can only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you can see yourself living there, eh?

    ReplyDelete