Sunday, July 25, 2010

Queenstown






I had the most amazing weekend in some of the most beautiful country that I have ever seen. I could not believe my eyes. At moments I thought that I was looking at a poster or something. This beauty is unbelievable.

The school group that I came to New Zealand with went to Queenstown for the weekend. Arriving friday, we went on a shotover jetboat ride on a river (look it up on the internet) . We then had the rest of the evening to ourselves. The next day we awoke to more glory with the sunrise on the Remarkables (the misty mountains in LOTR). We took a hour coach ride to the Routeburn Track, which was absolutely unbelievable. I honesty think I could hike that everyday and never grow tired of the sites. We hiked to the first hut and then a little further to the saddle before the snow was too high to pass. The pictures will not do the 25 km hike justice. I was also able, for the first time ever in my life, to drink with my hands from a spring. No filtering required. Amazing!

On sunday, some people bungy jumped. I decided to save my money for other adventures a little more lasting. I was able to have some time on the town, which was actually very encouraging. I ate lunch at this world class burger place called the "Ferg Burger". IT WAS THE BEST BURGER EVER. Massive, juicy, and with brie cheese. I then wanted to talk to some locals about ice climbing, which is popular in Queenstown. I do a fair bit back in the states and have not met anyone here who is keen to do some ice, mixed, or alpine climbing. It is hard to get into the climbing community here. Anyway, I went into the first outdoor store I saw and talked to the first person I saw. We chatted for a bit about ice climbing and he offered to go out with me. He has not been here very long, just moved from the UK in march. I thought that was pretty neat that the first person I talked to was keen to do lots of climbing. We exchanged numbers on the store business cards and shook hands. As I am about to leave he reads the my name and says, "Councell? Are you related to Andrew Councell?" I was absolutely shocked! He apparently had climbed with my brother (who is a climbing guide) in colorado. I could not believe my ears. There is not such thing as a coincidence. So, we are planning on climbing whenever we the weather permits... I just have to find how to get to Queenstown from Dunedin (a 3.5 hr drive).

I experienced such peace and rest this weekend. I was able to catch a glimpse of God's glory, as the song goes, "I see your face in every sunrise..." Then, to add to the already amazing weekend, I meet this guy who has climbed with my brother who lives in UK and happened to be the store that I chose to go into. Unbelievable. I am going to post some pictures, though there are more on my facebook. Also, I am going to post two links to videos that express in better words some of the feelings I had while being in the wilderness this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. really, quite awesome...the sights look amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love pictures. and your pictures. and the pictures of new zealand. mmmhm pictures.

    ReplyDelete