Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rotorua and initial Dunedin

"Today was cold again in Rotorua. We went around to look at the local flora and fauna and discuss the formation of enzed. Then we went zorbing – look it up online if you wish. It was not that exciting but it was fun.
The best part of the day was going to see a Maori tribe and eat a dinner cooked by them. It was cool to look into a different culture. Also, this allowed good time to get to know more people on the group and I seemed to get along with everyone I was sitting next too. It might have been the coffee-hot chocolate that got me hyper, but being in a more lively mood seemed to help.
I am leaving for Dunedin tomorrow and it will be very cold there. "

That was two days ago. It is cold in Dunedin. I would say that it is no colder than winter in north carolina. it probably stays a good 4-8 ÂșC during the day and -2-0 at night. But the difference lies in the fact that my flat does not have heating. I have heard that it is the coldest flat on campus. Making dinner tonight, which consisted of a peanut butter sandwich and an apple, I could see my breath.

That brings me to a good story: the stupidest thing I have done in a long time. I went to the store to get some things. I wanted to purchase at least on sheet for the bed because sleeping in a sleeping bag on top of a bare mattress seemed strange. I also needed to obtain soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, and food to last awhile, seeing as the store is a good 20 minute walk away. I was completely overwhelmed in the grocery store. I guess I have never really had to think and plan about so many meals, know how much I could cook for a meal or how long food would last. I think, unfortunately, I became rather compulsory in that 1.5 hr I spent going down every isle. I have plenty of food...

You may think that was pretty stupid but just you wait. I then needed to carry this load back to my flat. I had my small backpack and the bag jennie gave me for christmas. I thought I could just brave it out, so I went outside to begin my haul back to Dundas Street. As I begin to leave, a pleasant woman yells, "you left this!" pointing to the neglected laundry detergent. Walking back, she asks where I am going with ALL this stuff. I tell her. She laughs, She says I need a tax. I ask her the cost, She says that it is 10 min but probably more. Well, seeing as I spent some money already, I refused. I laughed to myself as I neared my apartment 35 minutes later that I looked like a crazy person or a mule loaded with gear. I still think everything I purchased was necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle here (like a peanut butter sandwich for dinner).

Anyway, tonight I went bouldering with this guy from uni. He and his girlfriend are both biology majors. He is a microbiologist and she a geneticist. The gym is really one small room but it is pretty nice place to hang out.. and i met a lot of people who seem keen on doing some climbing else where. I may be able to go to wanaka for mix climbing, queenstown for ice, or castle rock for bouldering this weekend. we shall see. tomorrow night, the guy I climbed with tonight and I will go buildering.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a day......You need to sleep and get rested up now. Maybe the man from church can take you once a week to a grocery store with his car, and help you out that way. Give him a shout. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete