Sunday, July 11, 2010

Wanaka

So I just got back from climbing in wanaka -- my first climbing experience in new zealand. I went with three kiwis I met: a guy named James and his girlfriend and another guy named Anthony. The company was colorful to say the least. We climbed both days, though it seemed that the people here are much more laid back and can accept spending half a day on a 12 m route.

It is interesting to see how climbing ethics are different from place to place as well. There are soooo many bolts at wanaka. Cracks are bolted. 20 foot routes have 4 or more bolts. I found myself skipping 3 bolts on one route! But the climbing was really good. The rock is a schist and mostly loose unless well traveled. We did much more climbing on the second day and we had excellent weather the whole weekend.

I have felt lonely since I have been here and not meeting people who I can relate with. I found, though it is not the best option, sometimes distraction is the best thing. Climbing seems to distract nicely... and the day goes by quickly. More positively, even though I feel isolated even among people, seeing the beauty around me brings peace and reminder of God's love. Anyway, pictures should be up soon.

Today I am going to classes and trying to figure out schedules, which is quite stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment