Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weekend

I am not keeping up with this blog as much as I thought I would.

This past weekend, I wanted to do something involving traveling and seeing something of New Zealand. The truth is, I haven't really explored all of Dunedin. Despite this, I'd rather go climbing at least see some countryside. Plans were made to go climbing at Long Beach just 20 minutes north of Dunedin. The weather was great all week, ensuring good conditions for climbing. Apparently, though I think it sounds more like an excuse not to go climbing in the cold weather, once it rains, the rock is wet for a long time. Well, of course, it was misting on saturday morning. So the people I was going with and I decided to swing by the farmers market. Again, I think I spent too much money on food: three loaves of really yummy bread, some cheese to go along, chicken, pears, apples, humus, and some chocolate fudge. We decided to wait for a bit to see if the weather would clear.... but it didn't. I sat around in the cold flat doing some reading and much needed skyping. I think we probably could have gone and I was keen to do so even for the opportunity to see some seals, but James had some work that needed to do. Fortunately, we went indoors to the small bouldering gym, which we had to ourselves. I actually was climbing pretty well, considering I had half a kilo of ice cream (for only 2 bucks!!!). The rest of the evening was pretty chill, consisting of me overcooking cous cous with tuna, vegies, and cheese.

Having to cook for myself sucks. Real life, eh? Having to plan meals and actually cooking them is difficult, especially when I am worried about a budget for food. I will need to go to the grocery tonight. BUT my strategy is to cook a large meal that will last me at least two days so that I will not need to cook enough and save electricity. Electricity. I will appreciate you so much more when I return to the the motherland. Every light switch or outlet here as a switch on it. You MUST turn it off in order to save energy, which is really expensive here. That is one reason for the cold flat: not enough money to keep the place warm all the time. I am constantly walking in and out of rooms turning off lights and thinking in terms of how many units of electricity I have. If nothing else, this will make me a more energy efficient person.

Anyway, on Sunday, I was able to go to the Reform Church of Dunedin -- about the size of my flat. It is a really quaint church on the southside of the city in a really peaceful part of town (mind you, I live right next to party central: couch burnings, random street parties, people pissing and drinking all over the street, etc.). The service was really nice. We sang hymns, many of which reminded me of "the meeting days", which I was not really a part of. Singing with other people was really refreshing. The sermon was quite applicable, speaking about being in the moment of suffering because we are called as Christians to experience suffering: "We should not be surprised at our sufferings". Afterwards, I chatted with a few people. Most of the church consists of elderly people (most of whom are dutch). I met some younger people as well; familiar faces from bible study. I was then invited over for lunch by the stand-in pastor and the guy who picked me up from my flat. It was really nice to be around other Christians and I spent a good four hours there talking about basically everything. From the "closed brethren" to dating long distance to climbing. The have friends who have a winter home near mount cook and the Mrs. Van Dyk invited me to bring back Lindsay and stay there. All in All, they are very humble, Jesus seeking people. The mother offered an open home whenever I needed it.

I promised to slackline with James, the person I have been climbing with, that afternoon, so I finally left their nice home overlooking the ocean. The slack line was across the Leith the runs through town (modeled after a Scottish town). I have never done such a high line before. We had a safety line but it was still intimidating. I think I got three steps into and then, forcing myself to fall forward, try to grab the line with hands... otherwise go for a swing. I will have to come back now that I trust the system a bit more.

Since I had eaten a lot on Sunday: the too many nutella/ honey pancakes for breakfast and the lunch out. I didn't want to waste food, so I just had some bread and cheese. I also was in a bit of hurry to go to another church at 7:30 pm that is, apparently, near where I lived. The internet was down, so I had to channel the Spirit (I joke). I did find the church called Cornerstone Bible Chapel, which I found similar to Littleton Bible Chapel (though smaller). I met some more people there -- more younger people, who invited me to their bible study thursday nights (and band practice). After the service, I was invited to go up to the youth leader's straw bale house that was recently built (land is cheap here...). We watched a movie about gnosticism in Hollywood, interesting but a little bit cliche. And that was my weekend. God has been good in providing good sermons and fellowship. Still, I am mostly by myself throughout the day but I do try and talk with the randomest of people. I look forward for the rest of this week and next weekend because I will be in Queenstown (maybe do some ice climbing...).

Kia Ora

ps. sorry for bad grammar you are no doubt going to find. I have not read over this and am sure, as Lindsay likes to point out often, that I have abused some homonyms. :)

4 comments:

  1. Daniel, I have not found any homonym abuses--though I was not really reading for editing purposes. I think it's funny that you capitalized All in All. Because it's a song title. Not too many edits to submit, my dear. A job well done. Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. Good on you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, it's not atrocious, but it's not CS Lewis either :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaa... i love you all. good for a laugh.

    well daniel i have some cheap/easy food recommendations. beans/rice/cheese burritos are good. if they have dried beans there or you can just use cans of black beans or whatever.. cook up some rice and then just put cheese in it. keeps for a while in the fridge (or in your uber cold apt) and is easy to throw together quickly and take for a hike or whatever. you can throw spinach in it for some greens. if you can't find tortillas there, you can just use tortilla chips or something and make "nachos" with it. i will try to think of some others that are quick and easy.

    oh, i also like "taco soup".. a comfort winter food. use one lb of beef, 1 can of corn, 1 can of black beans, 2 cans of diced tomatoes and 1 packet of taco season and some kind of tortilla chips or fritos. cook the meat until its all browned, then add all the cans of stuff and the taco seasoning and wa-la. serve over the chips (they get soggy and melt into it and its really good) and you can add cheddar cheese or sour cream on top or whatever. it makes a big pot and it is yummy as leftovers. and fairly cheap when you see how far it stretches.

    but i dont know if they have taco seasoning there. anyway.

    i'm excited to hear about the connections your making with other believers and also how you're trying to stretch yourself and grow and reach out to others. its really good! i'm having to do it too here. :) it takes some time but i think you will find some kinship there soon. stay in the WORD.. it is LIFE to us.
    love you so
    mari

    ReplyDelete